Friday, August 15, 2014

Revisiting The Calorie

There has been a lot happening at RevFit lately. We continue to push for more effective, more efficient weight-loss results for our clients. Some of our clients are just looking for a little bit of weight to come off (5-10lbs) and others have significantly more (100+lbs). So, no conversation about weight loss can happen without discussing the importance of the almighty calorie.

Over the last several months we have seen more diligent and consistent weight loss for our clients than ever before. Not to mention, a handful of our clients have hopped back on the weight loss wagon after some dietary detours.

With these things in mind, I thought it would be a good time for a refresher on how calories will not only help you reach your goals but how variations can affect you as well.

1) We all have a baseline. Take any given person and factor in these things: age, weight, height, gender and level of current activity. Since we are all unique in this regard, calories can vary with a fair degree. Some things to consider in relation to this fact: we need fewer calories as we age (the body is less efficient at burning them), the more you weigh the more calories it takes to sustain the functioning of your body, men are typically more efficient at burning calories than women and the more sedentary you are, the fewer calories you need.

2) In order to see a change in physique, you HAVE TO alter your intake. Many people make the mistake of assuming that as soon as they go from sedentary to exercising that their body will transform into a calorie burning dynamo. This RARELY happens. Yes, exercise does help you burn calories. However, unless you're training for marathons year in and year out, it will not be the amount of calories you'd expect. I tend to tell people: exercise shapes your body, food gets you closer to (or further away from) your goals. It also bears to mention that as you exercise your hunger will typically go up. This is important for those of you trying to lose weight to keep in mind.

3) There are some people who gain weight because they don't eat enough.

I'll throw my own numbers out so we can use a frame of reference:

Age: 38
Weight: 140lbs
Height: 5'9"
Gender: Male
Level of Current Activity: Light to moderate activity

I know that it takes me approximately 2100 calories per day just to maintain my body as it is right now.

Let's assume I wanted to lose 5 lbs. The moderate deficit I would need to create would be approximately a 20% deficit in relation to my maintenance. That puts me at 420 calories. Deduct that from my maintenance calories and I would need to eat approximately 1680 calories (let's say 1700) daily. There are roughly 3500 calories in a pound of fat, so if I didn't increase my exercise activity it would take me a little over a week just to burn 1 pound.

I will say this: If I am accustomed to eating 2100 calories per day and I drop down to 1700 I will definitely notice a difference. It won't be easy and I WILL be hungry. This is one of those circumstances where I would just need to suck it up and focus on the goal. The body will adjust to the change and it won't be so unbearable after a few days.

As with many things in life: consistency rules.

Where many people get in trouble is their impatience. There are some people who can make a drastic drop in calorie intake and see very favorable results. However, the body tends to wise up and will stop dropping weight for fear of starvation. At this point, weight loss can stall or even worse, the body will hoard the small amount of calories it's receiving and store them as fat.

Using my information from above, let's say I wanted to either drop more than 5lbs and I wanted it off faster. I really have only two choices: do longer or more intense calorie burning cardio and/or take another drop in calories. The problem with continually dropping calories is, at some point you can't go any lower. The body will just start shutting down. Organ function can be impaired as well as cognitive abilities, etc.

While there is nothing exciting about having a routine or predictable food plan, it does keep the goals on pace. The body will always have a mind of its own when it comes to the rate of weight loss. With weight loss, you are constantly trying to stack the deck as much in your favor as possible. The more factors you have control over (proper caloric intake, proper water intake, appropriate and consistent exercise) the better chances you stand to have.

Need to know where you stand? We can help!



No comments:

Post a Comment